Wednesday, October 11, 2006

People are Scum...

Today, I want to talk about the idiocy of people.
So, today is like any other day.

I’ve got two little stories from the Massachusetts area that I think well illustrate how idiotic and obnoxious people can be.

I’d like to start with the people of Wellesley, a very wealthy town in this so-called liberal state. I’ll just call this section Wellesley versus Charity.
The basis for this rant is taken from a Boston Globe Op-Ed column by Brian McGrory. I like this guy. He uses very well placed sarcasm, and is a good read. However, the charity part of this little rant is something I knew about beforehand. So, let me explain that first.


Apparently, a good way to raise money for a charity is with what is called a Design Home. A building company builds a fantastically huge house, and gets all these fancy interior designers to, well, design the interior. Make it uber-opulent and all that. Then, tickets are sold for people to visit this Design Home. Get ideas for design, or find a designer you like and hire them. Also, everything in the house is for sale, as is the house itself (I believe). So, the builder gets his name out there, the designers get their name out there, lots of goods are for sale, Boston Magazine sponsors it and makes money off the advertising et. al, and the $25 dollar ticket proceeds go to the Home for Little Wanderers.


Now, stop for a second. Think about the draw here. Who would likely want to pay $25 and go see this home? Wealthy people. Keep that in mind.
So, last year, Boston Magazine and the HFLW did this same fundraiser in a town called Hopkington, a nice town, but nowhere near as wealthy as Wellesley. The town loved the idea, approved it, celebrated it, and it raised over $150,000!
So, this year, it was going to happen in Wellesley. Hell, I was going to go! But the town seemed to have some issues with it. In fact, they caused so many problems, the HFLW only raised about $40,000! What the hell was their issue?? Well, one rich bugger said this would draw ‘potentially undesirable people.’ Other’s thought their neighborhood would be wrecked (note, you couldn’t even park anywhere near the home. They had to set up shuttle buses so people could get there!). In the end, the town succeeded in wrecking this charity event. They forced it to shut down every day at 5pm, and was only open one day each weekend. Now, who the hell is going to go to this thing? People have jobs! Fund raisers usually take place in the evening!
So, basically, and this wasn’t the whole town of Wellesley, just the people who lived right near the design home, but basically, they ruined a charity event. Way to go, richies. You should be ashamed!

My second rant will be much more brief, but it involves the campaign for Governor in Massachusetts, and smear campaigns.

Now, most of you know, I’m a Deval Patrick fan. What can I say, I like him, and I think he’ll make a good governor. I certainly don’t like that hog Kerry Healey. I don’t like her, her politics, her face, or her methods. I don’t like smear campaigns either. And she is certainly running one (watch Deval Patrick adds. He says nothing bad about her. He mentions that things aren’t working and he can fix them, but nothing about HER. Now, watch her adds. They are all about HIM. That just sucks).

So, I generally ignore smear campaigns, but I was at my friends house when one of her stupid adds came on about Deval fighting for a cop-killer. So, I had to ask what the hell she was talking about. And here is the story, in layman’s terms:Deval was a lawyer. As a lawyer, you are hired to defend people. Sure, we’d all like to say ‘if I was a lawyer, I’d only defend innocent people.’ But, how do you know. You may believe someone is innocent, and later find out they aren’t. It is your JOB to defend. So, the story goes, Deval got hired to defend this guy. He believed the guy was innocent. He even paid for a DNA test to make sure. Sounds like a good lawyer to me. The guy was convicted. Deval still believed he was innocent, and wrote to the parole board about it. He was doing his JOB. Then, the DNA test came back. Turned out the guy was guilty. Did Deval continue to defend him? NO. Once he found out without reasonable doubt that the guy was guilty, he stopped defending him. This doesn’t sound like a guy who’s soft on crime. Sounds like a guy who was DOING HIS JOB! I’m sure many of us have believed someone’s innocence about something, and then later found out we were wrong. We can be wrong, you know. So, Shame on Kerry Healey for trying to make Deval look bad with this tripe. The guy was a lawyer doing his job. The End. Here’s the commercial.



So, in closing, I just want to say, people can really be scumbags. Its really just a shame. The Human race has so much possibility, and we as a whole come nowhere near what we could be. This is why I hold on to the great shift of 2012. This is why I wouldn’t mind a hell of a lot less people in the world. I have lofty ideas of what we could be, and I don’t think any of them are unrealistic.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger don1775 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger don1775 said...

Shut up, Hobbs. You probably live in Wellesley.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Joey Polanski said...

HOBBS!

You sold yer vote to th Deval!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Welseley smells like New Bedford Heroin Factories.


As for Deval . . . he will easily be nexy governer, he has 60% of the vote. Even the conservation radio commenters in this start have conceded it.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Joey Polanski said...

Anyone got a friggin de-fibrilatr?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home