Tuesday, February 07, 2006

in case you hadn't heard


my old favorite:
Scientists Warn of Melting Ice in Arctic

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Scientists on Monday painted a gloomy picture of the effects of global warming on the Arctic, warning of melting ocean ice, rising oceans, thawed permafrost and forests susceptible to bugs and fire.
"A lot of the stories you read make it sound like there's uncertainty," said Jonathan Overpeck, a professor of geosciences at the University of Arizona. "There's not uncertainty."

Deborah Williams, a conference organizer and former director of the Alaska Conservation Foundation, said Alaska is Ground Zero for observing the effects of global warming because so many natural phenomena are tied to ice and the repercussions of it melting.

Overpeck reviewed NASA studies showing how Arctic ice has shrunk in size and depth. Climate models 25 years ago predicted a shrinking ice pack.
"What we didn't predict is that it would be so dramatic," Overpeck said.

If warming trends continue, Overpeck said, the globe eventually will get a nasty message from the Arctic: a rise in sea levels. Higher oceans will flow into low-lying parts of the world such as New Orleans, making recovery in that hurricane-ravaged city moot.
"It's hard to imagine why we're wanting to rebuild if we're going to allow global warming," Overpeck said.

9 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

I wouldn't mind this area being like FLA

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Joey Polanski said...

In othr werds, global warmin will land us inna Kevn Costnr movie.

Thats th DEFNITION of "disaster"!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Joaquin Mattison said...

Hey, I live in Florida, DANG!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It only takes a few hundred volcanos and a couple thousand years to fix that global warming trend.

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's....preoccupied.....but when I see her, I'll tell her.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Hobbs von Wackamole said...

wow, Death. I've had the hots for you for years! how ya doin? Tell yr sis Delirium to CALL me!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Um, the new podcast is up. Go to hill tv link and hit the podcast banner. 2005 retrospective and a sexy interview with George Lucas.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh my mole friend! How does the grass grow? I knew I smelled daiseys! You simply must meet me for tea by the tree sometime. Can you send postcards underground? I miss our slumber parties that lasted until dawn. Perhaps the bats can hang us some stars tomorrow? Oh I must have lost my rings cause I can't seem to find any shine anymore. Maybe you can look for them by the worm stone? Last year was so grand...you missed the dandylions too. It was snazzy. Bumble bees and blue jays and moles and squirls and shiney things all in a row. Where is my rainbow?

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! What do I CALL you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home